Thursday 17 September 2009

Raw vegan experiment - Day 3



Couscous salad with cherry tomatoes and chilli


I'd never done couscous using cold water, and I have to say that I was not convinced it would be a success when told about it by my mate Dave. I'm thrilled to say that not only was it great, I actually preferred the texture to couscous done with boiling water. So there.

Serves 1

A handful of couscous
150ml water (or thereabouts)
A few cherry tomatoes, halved
1 chunk of cucumber, roughly chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
A good handful of mint and coriander, chopped
Juice of half a lemon
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Stick the couscous in a bowl and pour over the water. Leave for 15 minutes (the couscous, not the room - it's not that coy).

Fluff with a fork then add your other ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper and olive oil. Devour like a crazed animal.

Banana and blackberry smoothie



Makes about a litre

3 bananas
A big ol' handful of blackberries
150g oats and seeds
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons soy yoghurt
200ml orange juice
Dried berries - raisins, cranberries, woteva

Stick everything but the dried berries in a blender and, you know, blend. You could sieve it if you are worried about having bits in your teeth for a week (I personally consider the detritus between my molars a cheeky mid-morning snack).

Chill for an hour and pour into a glass with a handful of dried berries on top.

3 comments:

  1. James, I think you need B12, a deficiency of which can lead to nervous instability and arguments with sisters. Even the vegan society knows this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you feeling on this diet? I think I'd go mad without some hot food...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang on in there cosy head and stick to your vegans. We're behind you all the way (albeit some distance behind, knowing what you've been eating for the past few days).

    ReplyDelete