Thursday 29 October 2009

Pancakes


Turns out I'm half American. I already knew that but it's something I used to pretend I didn't. There was a time when being half American was something you kept quiet - like having a third nipple, or a verruca, or your family locked in the basement. But then a year ago Obama was made president, and all of a sudden I was proud of my roots. OK, I didn't go all-out, Randy-style nuts, but I was proud of my half-people - proud that they had proved the stereotype wrong, and so I put on some weight and got real stupid for a while to celebrate. 'Cause I'm one of them now.

A year later and my cousin Gep is staying at my parents', and I have an urge for pancakes - thick, sweet, doughy pancakes, drowned in maple syrup. They take approximately 4 minutes to make and even less time to eat. I would have put some chopped blueberries in the batter, but, alas, we had none.

Serves 4 fat Americans

300g self-raising flour
4 tablespoons caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
300ml milk
Butter
Maple syrup
Bacon

Preheat the oven to 60C.

Mix the flour and sugar in a large bowl (sieve the flour first if you can be arsed - at 8 in the morning I can't, frankly).

Stir the eggs into the milk, then make a well in the centre of your flour and pour in the wet mix. Stir until fully combined, but don't overwork the batter.

Melt a little butter over a medium heat in a non-stick frying pan, and add a couple of tablespoons of the mix. Fry for a couple of minutes, turn and fry for another minute or two. Keep warm in the oven while you make the rest of the batch, before serving with maple syrup and bacon. God bless America.

4 days to go until challenge week

3 comments:

  1. Can you please stop making me drool. It is embarrassing.
    I'm not in the least bit American, but I am a big fan of the good ol' pancake! I am hereby hopping onto the yank bandwagon and I'm off to make some of those wickedly delicious fried, flat cakes Italian style - I'll take mine with mascapone and a shot of coffee please...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like pancake heaven to me - reckon the coffee would sort out the inevitable lethargy after such a beautiful stodge fest. Those Italians have got it sorted.

    What other pancake toppings could we pioneer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm an American, not just half of one, and I'd like to say that I deeply resent the implication (or assumption) that all Americans are fat; I'd like to say that, but unfortunately, it's true. Still, it's kind of a kick in the gut to see the recipe stating enough for "4 fat Americans". I mean, I defend you Brits all the time. You have embraced the advances in dentistry and now there are some very good chefs making great strides in the kitchen. So, please, take it easy on us. I just subscribed to your blog and have been enjoying it. Don't make me get all Unsubscribe on your sassy ass.

    (tongue firmly in cheek, k?)

    ReplyDelete