Thursday 5 November 2009

Ethnic Eating Experiment - Day 3

If yesterday's ordeal was incoherent, vomit-inducing and, frankly, useless, today was a complete joy. This is really what the experiment is about - trying things that I'd usually balk at, and being pleasantly surprised by their tastiness. Huzzah for East African bread (and apologies for early mispronunciation)!




Chickpea and spinach curry for lazy bastards

Serves 4

1 red onion, peeled and chopped
2 teaspoons of curry powder
1 tin coconut milk
1 tin spinach (by the way - I now LOVE tinned spinach; it's delicious)
1 tin chickpeas, drained
1 tablespoon (or thereabouts) tomato puree
Salt, pepper, and olive oil
Injera bread

Heat a little oil in a saucepan or wok and saute the onion until soft. Stir in the curry powder, then add coconut milk, spinach, chickpeas and tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and serve with injera bread.

Thank you to my two helpful and slightly tipsy helpers.

6 comments:

  1. This is brilliant, I am going to try this! How much did your meal cost in total?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie - I reckon £1.50 a head. As bread goes it wasn't cheap. As hearty meals go it certainly was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, could I just have it with rice? (I think I might forget the name of the bread if I don't write it down!)

    DO you have any very simple rice recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mean just for cooking rice? It's surprisingly hard to get it right - I am rarely happy with mine.

    Try doing 2 parts water to 1 part rice. Salt the water, bring to a boil and pop a lid on. Reduce heat to a simmer and leave it for 15 minutes. The rice should have absorbed all the water.

    Alternatively (though a little more of an arse), boil the rice for 7 minutes. Drain and tip into a baking tray with salt, pepper and butter. Cover tightly with foil and put in an oven at 180C for 15 minutes. I find this method is the most foolproof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I like how you took it back to basics, its what I need... I just put it in a pan and let it boil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspired by your post I've Just purchased my Injera bread, tinned spinach etc to make this tonight. Nibbling away on the bread already, liking the slight tang and bubbly texture : )

    ReplyDelete