Friday 6 November 2009

Ethnic Eating Experiment - Day 4

To Chinatown, where this little piggy lost his feet.




Five spice trotters


Serves 2

3 trotters, washed thoroughly
2 tablespoons Chinese five spice
1 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1 thumb of ginger, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 litre water (I know I say a pint, but I ended up adding more. cheeky)
4 pak choi, divided and washed
1 packet Shanghai noodles
Oyster sauce
Oil, salt and pepper

Heat a little oil over a medium heat and brown the trotters on all sides.

Add the five spice and toss to coat all the meat thoroughly, then add the garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for an hour and a half.

Remove the trotters to rest and bang up the heat, reducing the cooking liquor until sticky. Meanwhile stirfry the pak choi and noodles with a little oyster and soy sauce. Serve with the trotters, along with a generous tickle of the cooking sauce.

Tomorrow I meet the Iranian John Torode. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent! I want to use this recipe but I don't think I can face trotters. What could I use instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers anonymous - this would be brilliant with pork belly too. Score the skin (for spicy crackling) and rub all over with five spice, salt, pepper and soy sauce. Roast at 170C for 1 1/2 hours, then turn up to 210C for the another 20 minutes. Rest for 20 minutes and serve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic stuff James! I can't wait for the next installment. And your bird is bloody hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up, this is much better than all the puke on television.
    where you can always predict the outcome. KEEP IT REAL!
    AND KEEP IT GOING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious and so do you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. erm, Rej I can promise you hilarious is the last thing that bird is. It very nearly became part of the experiment. Noisy bastard.

    'Anonymous' - I've told you before Jeff, stop leaving creepy comments on my blog.

    Chunkypasta - thanks for that. this is real as it gets, if a little (well, very) amateur.

    ReplyDelete